Most people who get covid-19 will experience fever, cough, tiredness, chills (shivering) and possibly loss of taste or smell. When you have any of these symptoms, you must avoid going out or mixing with other people and you should call any of these phone numbers for help 08104362132, 08138922135 or 09075804259 (Lagos state only). If you live elsewhere in Nigeria, please call the appropriate number from this list.
Other possible symptoms of covid-19 include difficulty breathing, chest pain, runny or blocked nose, sore throat, headache, muscle pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.
If you have one or more of these symptoms, you should get screened by a healthcare provider (e.g. by calling the helpline). After the screening, you will be given instructions about your course of action.
- Cough and or chest pain.
- Runny or blocked nose.
- Sore throat.
- Inability to taste food or food may taste strange.
- Loss of smell or things may smell strange.
- Headache, muscle pain or tiredness.
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhoea
If you have one or more of these symptoms , you should call the state helpline to know if you may have covid-19.
Go to one of the covid-19 treatment centres if you have these symptoms, it may mean that the condition has become worse:
- New or worsening difficulty breathing.
- Loss of consciousness.
- New or recurring fever.
If you have symptoms that you suspect are due to covid-19, do the following:
- Stay calm. The infection usually resolves within 7 days.
- Self-isolate. You should stay at home, away from other people (sleep in a different room where possible) and avoid going out throughout the duration of your infection. Usually, this will be about 7 days after you notice the first symptoms. Other people staying in your home should practice preventative methods: keep their distance, regularly wash their hands with water and soap, and wear a face mask in crowded places.
- Contact the state testing centre. Call the state hotline to speak with a healthcare provider. They will help you schedule a test or point you to the nearest test centre and give you a call when your test results are ready.
- Use over-the-counter medications. there is now cure for covid-19, but you can use paracetamol or ibuprofen to relieve fever, pains and discomfort.
- Drinking a lot of water will help you remain hydrated.
You should isolate for at least 7 days (and you should have no more symptoms) when you:
- Have symptoms of covid-19.
- Have a positive covid-19 test result.
- Have been in contact with someone who has covid-19.