Neomycin is an aminoglycoside antibacterial medicine. It is available as a tablet to be swallowed whole with water, a soluble powder for reconstitution as suspension for children, a powder for wounds, a gel for unbroken skin or as eye/ ear drops. Neomycin is often available in a mixture with other medicines since it is a weak antibacterial on its own.
It is available as a Prescription-Only-Medicine.
Neomycin is an antibacterial medicine. It is most often used to prevent or treat bacterial infections of the skin, eyes or ears. It is also used to treat or prevent bacterial infections in the intestine and a type of brain damage from complications of liver disease.
Neomycin is used up to four times a day, swallowed by mouth. It can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. You should tell your healthcare provider if you are allergic to neomycin or other aminoglycoside antibacterial medicine.
- This medicine is available as tablets, powder for suspension, skin preparations (gels, ointment, creams) and ear/eye drops.
- It is available as 500mg tablets taken 2-6 days before surgery, depending on what type of surgery is to be done.
- Neomycin ointment and creams combine with other antibacterials, antifungal, and medicines that reduce swelling. Rub it on the affected area as prescribed by your healthcare provider.
- It is also available as ear/eye drops combined with other medicines. Please take it as instructed by your healthcare provider.
- Take this medicine for the treatment period. Please do not use it for more than 14 days.
- Start with the smallest dose possible. Your healthcare provider will assist you in the recommendation. Follow their instructions carefully.
- Do not miss a dose of Neomycin tablets. If you do, take it when you remember. Do not use two doses at the same time.
- If you use more than your required amount or for more extended periods, seek medical attention immediately.
Common side effects of Neomycin include;
- Vomiting or the feeling of vomiting.
- Loose stools
- Stomach pain.
- Tickling in your feet and palms.
More severe side effects include;
- Hearing loss
- Kidney problems- feeling pressed but only urinating in small amounts.
- A skin rash may occur if you are allergic to this drug.
- Do not take this medicine if you have reacted to it or other aminoglycosides before.
- If you have ear and kidney problems, inform your healthcare provider before using this medicine.
- Use only the recommended amount of this medicine and for the time prescribed to avoid serious adverse effects.
- Inform your healthcare provider if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Return the remaining contents of Neomycin ear/eye drops or other antibiotics to the pharmacy for proper disposal. Do not share prescribed medicines with friends or family.