Azithromycin and secnidazole are antibacterial medicines. Together, they are more effective at stopping bacterial infections. Fluconazole is an antifungal medicine. The combination is available in a single pack of three tablets to be swallowed with water. Do not chew these tablets.
You should only use this combination of medicines when your healthcare provider prescribes it.
Azithromycin, fluconazole, and secnidazole combinations are used for managing vaginal infections, often to fight a mixed infection. The combination acts as a strong antibiotic and antifungal medicine. It is not routinely used for treating infections and will only be prescribed when your healthcare provider thinks you need it.
This combination is available as tablets to be swallowed whole with water. Side effects can include taste changes, headaches, and vaginal itching. Tell your healthcare provider if you have reacted to any of the individual medicines before or have any medicine allergy.
- Azithromycin comes as a pink 1 gram tablet. It should be taken one hour before your afternoon food.
- Fluconazole comes as one 150 mg round tablet. It should be taken after your afternoon food.
- Secnidazole comes as two white 1 gram tablets. Both tablets should be taken after you eat at night.
- All of these tablets should be taken at their specific times.
- They can be taken every day for 3-5 days depending on how severe the infection is.
- Do not miss any dose. If you do, start another treatment the next day.
Common side-effects of this medicine combination include:
- Vaginal itching.
- Taste changes.
- Loose stools.
- Use the medicines at their prescribed times.
- Do not take alcohol until three days after treatment.
- Avoid using antacids for ulcers. If you must use them, inform your healthcare provider.
- Drink a lot of water during the treatment period.
- You might feel sleepy during the day. Avoid driving or operating a machine for the treatment period.
- Inform your healthcare provider if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you are taking any other medicines, inform your healthcare provider before you use this medicine.
- Inform your healthcare provider if you have any current health conditions especially liver or kidney problems.
- Finish using all the medicines to prevent the infection from returning.